A missile strike on Sunday on a mosque and a religious school in Saudi Arabia’s Yemeni region of Jizan killed at least 29 people and injured more than 40 others, a Saudi official said.
“The attack took place at midnight and the outcome was 25 martyrs and 38 people were wounded, 18 of them critically,” Abdullah al-Qarri, Yemen’s top government spokesman, told reporters in the kingdom’s capital, Riyadh.
On Sunday, civilians were among the casualties, the UN’s Human Rights Office said, calling on parties to the conflict to avoid attacks on civilians.
“Such attacks on civilian targets and population centres amount to war crimes,” the agency said in a statement.
Saudi-led forces intervened in Yemen’s civil war in 2015, backing the internationally recognised government against the Iran-aligned Houthi movement.
Both sides are accused of using child soldiers, killing children in many air strikes.
The Saudi-led coalition said last week it had detained 44 Yemeni rebels responsible for recruiting, arming and training children in the war-torn country.
Yemen’s war has killed more than 10,000 people and displaced over 3 million.
At least 16 million people are on the brink of famine.
Follow Trend on Telegram. Only most interesting and important news